Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Serves: 4-6
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1½ to 2 pounds tri-tip roast, excess fat and silver skin removed
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed
1½ cups sliced hearts of romaine
½ cup crumbled or grated Cotija or queso fresco cheese (2 ounces)
2 ears corn, husk removed
1 cup cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
⅓ cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped basil
3 teaspoons minced Serrano chile pepper
2 teaspoons lime juice
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare the Traeger grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (350 degrees F/ 175 degrees C to 450 degrees F/ 230 degrees C).
2. The corn should be grilled for 15 minutes with the hood closed, flipping it once or twice.
3. Cut the kernels off the cobs, and place the kernels in a suitable bowl; mix them well after adding the remaining salsa ingredients.
4. Mix 2 tablespoons of oil, the cumin, chili powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Using tri-tip, spread the prepared mixture. Before grilling, let the tri-tip rest at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
5. The tri-tip should be grilled over direct medium heat for 10 minutes with the hood closed, flipping once.
6. Close the lid and cook the tri-tip for the desired doneness—15 to 20 minutes for medium rare— over indirect medium heat. Remove from the hot grill and give it a few minutes to cool.
7. Add the beans and 1 tablespoon oil to a saucepan, and cook them over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice, season them with salt and black pepper after removing it from the fire.
8. Slice the meat thinly against the grain. Serve immediately with the cheese, lettuce, corn salsa, and black beans.
Per Serving: Calories 419; Total fat 15.8g; Sodium 3342mg; Total Carbs 0.4g; Fiber 0.2g; Sugars 0g; Protein 65.4g