¼ cup uncooked bulgur wheat
½ cup water
½ tablespoon sesame oil
4 ounces broccoli florets, chopped
¾ pound tofu
½ tablespoon white miso or pickled plum paste
½ yellow onion, chopped
2 ounces mushrooms, chopped
1 tablespoon tahini paste
½ tablespoon tamari
Sea salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Pour water into a small saucepan or pot and place it over medium heat.
3. When water starts boiling, add bulgur and a bit of salt. When it starts boiling once again, turn down the heat to low heat and cook covered until dry and tender. If it is uncooked and there is no water left in the pot, add a couple of tablespoons of water. Turn off the heat.
4. Grease a small pie pan with some cooking spray. Place bulgur in the pie pan and spread it evenly all over the bottom of the pan. Press it well onto the bottom of the pan.
5. Place the pie pan in the oven and set the timer for 12 minutes, or bake until the crust dries up.
6. Pour oil into a skillet and let it heat over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add onion, mushrooms, and broccoli and cook for a few minutes until slightly tender.
7. Remove the pan from heat and keep it covered with a lid.
8. Add tahini, tofu, miso, and tamari into a blender and blend until very smooth.
9. Remove the mixture into a bowl. Add onion mixture and mix well. Spread the mixture over the baked crust.
10. Place the pie pan in the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes.
11. Once baked, let it cool for 5 – 8 minutes.
12. Cut into wedges and serve. You can serve this hot or warm or at room temperature.