Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 11 minutes | Serves: 4
Kosher salt and black pepper
4 slices thick Texas toast
Extra-virgin olive oil
4 canned whole green chili peppers, chopped
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese, each about 1 ounce
Pico de Gallo
½ cup sour cream
1½ pounds ground chuck (80% lean)
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Combine all the patty ingredients in a medium bowl, and then make the mixture into 8 patties of equal size, about 1-inch thick. Make a shallow indentation about 1-inch-wide in the center of each patty, and then chill the patties in the refrigerator.
2. Prepare the Traeger grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C to 500 degrees F/ 260 degrees C).
3. Season the patties with salt and black pepper on both side, and slightly spread the bread slices with oil.
4. Grill the patties on the clean grill grate for 5 minutes with the lid closed; turn them over, and equally top them with the green chilies and one cheese slice, then resume grilling them for 4 to 6 minutes until they have an internal temperature of 160 degrees F/ 70 degrees C.
5. Toast the bread slices on the grill grate when there are 30 seconds or 1 minute left.
6. Stir the Pico de Gallo to make sure it is well mixed. Build a burger on each bread slice with 1 tablespoon of the sour cream, a patty, and 1 tablespoon of the Pico de Gallo.
7. Serve warm with the remaining Pico de Gallo and sour cream on the side. Per serving: Calories 203; Total fat 6.8g; Sodium 313mg; Total Carbs 8.8g; Fiber 1.8g; Sugars 3.6g; Protein 26.2g