Prep time: 35 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Serves: 4
1-pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
1 teaspoon dried chives
1 teaspoon black pepper
8 slices Gruyère cheese
½ cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
3 medium onions, cut into thick slices but do not separate the rings
1 loaf French bread, cut into 8 slices
4 slices provolone cheese
1. Mix the ground beef, minced garlic, beef base, chives, and pepper in a bowl.
2. Divide the meat mixture and shape into 8 thin burger patties.
3. Top each of 4 patties with one slice of Gruyère, then top with the remaining 4 patties to create 4 stuffed burgers.
4. Fill your Traeger Smoker with wood pellets and follow the manufacturer’s specific start-up procedure. Preheat the grill at High setting (450 degrees F/ 230 degrees C) with the lid closed
5. Arrange the burgers directly on one side of the grill, close the lid, and smoke them for 10 minutes. Flip and smoke them with the hood closed for 15 minutes more, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the burgers reads 160 degrees F/ 70 degrees C.
6. Add another Gruyère slice to the burgers during the last 5 minutes of smoking to melt.
7. Mix the soy sauce, olive oil, and liquid smoke in a separate bowl.
8. Arrange the onion slices on the grill and baste both sides with the soy sauce mixture. Smoke them with the hood closed for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
9. Toast the French bread slices on the grill. 10. Layer each of 4 slices with a burger patty, a slice of provolone cheese, and some of the smoked onions. Top each with another slice of toasted French bread. Enjoy.
Per Serving: Calories 388; Total fat 21.8g; Sodium 787mg; Total Carbs 5.4g; Fiber 1.5g; Sugars 1.4g; Protein 49.3g